Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Fiction

I love storytelling! Intriguing plotlines, characters you love or hate, beautiful imagery ... the wonderful world of fiction. ENJOY.

Persuasion by Jane Austen -- I am not a huge fan of "manners" books, and Persuasion took me awhile to get into, but by the end of the book, I liked it. It had won me over. The Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves movie The Lake House talks about this book and says it's about waiting. And it is. 8 years of waiting for Anne and Captain Wentworth, who were once engaged, are currently not, and in the future may be.

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle -- I think Kevin bought me this book for Christmas 2005; I wanted it since I have a weird fascination with the animated movie of this book. I love the movie (just watched it this week, in fact!), but this BOOK is FANTASTIC! So interesting and such lovely writing! Oh the writing is wonderful. Listen to the first paragraph: "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea." YES. The unicorn discovers that she is the last one left in the world, that the others have been driven to the sea by the Red Bull of King Haggard, and she sets off with a magician and a spinster to find the truth and rescue the others. I'm not a huge fantasy genre fan, but this is a TOP BOOK ON MY LIST.

The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle -- A variety of excellent fantasy stories by Beagle, but BEST: a short sequel to The Last Unicorn! I was sooooo excited, and I wasn't disappointed. I am such a nerd that my thought while enjoying the story's characters once again was, "It's good to be with them again."

The Secrets of the Simple Youth Ministry by Carl A. Blunt -- An allegory about a young youth minister who is struggling with the ministry and a wise mentor who walks him through a plan. This book was fantastic, and I recommend it to ANYONE who works with teenagers. It is a good reminder of the importance of Scripture, and it includes wonderful advice in an easy-to-swallow story format.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury -- So interesting! A classic about the future when the job of "firemen" is to burn books. One of the firemen realizes how wrong this is, and this is his story. GO. READ.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte -- When I think of "soap opera" books, I think of The Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights. PASSION runs rampant through this book about an orphan boy who falls in love with a rich girl. The outcomes affect even the next generation. A must-read, and NOT a traditional "manners book" as you might expect when you see the last name Bronte.

The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter -- Although this is not my typical genre, this book pulled me in and kept me turning the pages. Talcott Garland is a law professor whose father (the controversial Oliver Garland, who was once considered for a Supreme Court seat, but denied the seat because of scandal) dies suddenly. Talcott's sister believes their father was actually murdered, and Talcott gets pulled deeper into the secret world of his father as he attempts to find out the truth.

The Awakening by Kate Chopin -- I love this book! This is the story of Edna Pontellier's awakening and her pursuit of love outside of her marriage. NO, I'm not condoning adultery. Sigh. Do I have to keep putting my disclaimers on this list?

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier -- The title refers to the first Mrs. de Winter, who has passed away. The new Mrs. de Winter -- the book's narrator -- is haunted by her husband's first wife as their home seems like a shrine to her. She wants her husband's heart but feels he is still in love with Rebecca. There is a fantastic twist to this "sort-of-horror" book. Also: du Maurier uses the image "fat laugh" -- "fat laugh"!! I love it.

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger -- FANTASTIC book! I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. This is another book that I kind of avoided -- I think because of its title. But I heard wonderful things about it and finally picked it up. And now I am enamored with it. A family goes on a search for one of its members that has broken out of jail. The characters in this book are phenomenal. Reuben is the boy whose perspective we get. His sister Swede is a hilarious spitfire who writes epic poetry. Davy is the troubled brother/runaway convict. But the best character of the book is their father, a devout believer whose character gives us an amazing picture of what a RELATIONSHIP with the Lord looks like. A MUST-READ BOOK.


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald -- Can anyone here say SOAP OPERA? Gatsby is well written and SO INTERESTING. Fitzgerald did a very good job with this one ... a classic. Jay Gatsby throws extravagant parties and crazy for a married woman named Daisy whose husband is having an affair. All these adults misbehaving. Tsk tsk. But I still recommend this book, and may the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckelberg watch over you.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame -- The adventures of Mole, Ratty, Badger, and Todd. My favorite scene in this book is when they are sailing around Pan's island, and they say:
"Are you afraid?" whispered Mole to Rat in the presence of the Vision.
"Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid."

What an excellent way to think of the fear of the Lord, eh?

Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne -- The story of Hester Prynne, forced to wear a red letter A -- the sign of an adulteress -- on her chest, and how she endures it and even thrives despite the scorn. An interesting look at guilt and a classic.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo -- I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!! (Yes, five exclamation marks!) Although I have only read the abridged version (about 500 or so pages), it was remarkable, fantastic, passionate, well-written, intriguing. The story of Jean Valjean, an ex-criminal, who is pardoned by a priest but on the run from a relentless officer, and Cosette, the young orphan he adopts as his own. Also featuring horrendous characters such as the Thenardier family members, passionate Maurice, and young Gavroche. Fantastic book. There is a scene where Valjean is being threatened if he does not reveal where Cosette is, and Valjean calmly takes a heated rod and places it on his flesh, burning him badly. It was to say: you cannot do a thing to me to get me to deliver up Cosette, and I thought it was a phenomenal and powerful scene. Oh good, good book!

Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard -- This book is a Christian allegory, the story of crippled Much-Afraid's journey toward healing and the Shepherd. She learns many lessons and must continually lay down her will. The writing is a bit ... expected ... and even corny at times, but the book still made me cry and, taken as a whole, is a lovely story of trusting in Christ Jesus.
Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott -- Maddie Ryder is a recently divorced wreck whose father has died. When she discovers a small, blue rubber shoe that belonged to him, it sparks a search for the truth about her father. Not my favorite of Lamott's books, but her writing is still worthwhile.


Hard Laughter by Anne Lamott -- Jen's father is diagnosed with a brain tumor, sending her and her family into an emotional wake. A quirky, funny, and well-written novel that -- I believe -- is based very strongly on Lamott's real experience with her family.

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis -- A fictional book of letters from a veteran demon named Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood, a younger demon. An interesting concept, and Lewis said it was SUCH a hard book to write.


Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis -- The first book in Lewis' space trilogy. The story of Dr. Ransom's travel to and experience on the planet Malacalndra. Not just a zap-the-bad-guys space book ... it's really interesting because Malacandra has three different species on it who do not fight with one another. As one should expect from Lewis' books, it will make you think.

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis -- Book two of the space trilogy, and OH MY GOODNESS, this book is CRAZY DENSE. It takes a giant leap from the first book, and this one made my head SPIN. Dr. Ransom goes to a different planet -- Perelandra -- which is basically like the pre-Fall Garden of Eden. There is an Eve-type character there (the Green Lady) and also a "devil-like" character. The Un-man and Ransom almost play the role of good and bad "angels on the shoulders" with the Green Lady ... lots of dialogue between the two. It was probably one of the best books I read within the last year, but WOW, it makes you think. I don't necessarily agree with the theology Lewis presents (but I guess I don't necessarily DISagree either!), but this book is AMAZING. Go read it NOW. (By the way, this book and Till We Have Faces are the two books that Lewis considers his best, although he more often cites TWHF as his best.)

That Hiddeous Strength by C.S. Lewis -- The final book of the space trilogy was very hard for me to get into. I tried reading it more than once but kept putting it down until finally a prospective student from Oklahoma convinced me that it would be worth it. I picked it up and began reading again ... then I consumed it. He was right! It is SO INTERESTING once you dive in! I think the problem is that Dr. Ransom (the main character of the first two books) does not appear in this book until partway through. READ IT, friends! Definitely worthwhile. In this book, the National Institute of Coordinated Experiments (N.I.C.E.) is -- basically -- beginning to take over the world with horrendous morals and force. It's fairly terrifying the way that evil can sometimes look so progressive and fine; but then again, Satan masquerades as an angel of light. This is the story of the N.I.C.E. and Dr. Ransom's small group that opposes it.

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
-- Orual is the ugly princess and her sister Psyche is the beautiful one. Orual loves Psyche so much that it is ... destructive? I don't know if that's the right word. This book is worth the whole read if just for the last part of it. It's a good story, but I don't sense the real "WOW, C.S. LEWIS, WOW" until the last part. Which IS WOW. A good book to have read.

Spring Moon by Bette Bao Lord -- "The Chinese Gone With the Wind" -- I'm not sure if the book is acclaimed that way or if that's what my professor called it or both. Spring Moon's story from being a young girl and throughout her life. An interesting look at Chinese history through fictional eyes of a Chinese woman. Definitely worthwhile.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel -- If you can overlook the confused entanglement of religions in this book, you will enjoy it. The story of Pi Patel, a teenager from India, who survives 227 days on a lifeboat with a 450-pound Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. Soooo interesting! And I definitely bought a tiger stuffed animal afterward and have my own Richard Parker now.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien -- A collection of stories about soldiers in the Vietnam War and their pasts. It's a really interesting compilation of somewhat interrelated short stories. Pretty rough language, but I highly recommend!

Animal Farm by George Orwell -- A great satire on totalitarianism as the animals of the farm decide to take over.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath -- Almost Plath's autobiography, in fictional form. Esther Greenwood, a talented young writer, spirals into depression. This book is both funny and sad, and knowing that it is true adds a new dimension to it. Highly recommend.

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling -- I can't help it! I LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!! I wasn't sure what to think about them at first (before reading them); as a Christian, the word "witchcraft" doesn't exactly sound warm and comforting to me. My friend Megs loaned me the first book YEARS ago ... and it sat on my shelf for years. My friend Anna told me that I HAD to read them, so (with prayer) I took Megs' book off my bookcase ... and read it in a weekend. What a page-turner! I love the adventure; I love the characters. I repeat: I LOVE the characters. I ended up reading all seven books in under two months. My favorite books of the series are probably Half-Blood Prince and Goblet of Fire, although I really liked the ending of Deathly Hallows. I definitely cried multiple times in this series. And here's the clincher: I cried the day after I finished because I MISSED THE CHARACTERS. I am out of control.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger -- Now here we have a book that I am not quite sure what to say about. Holden Caufield's adventures in the city before he goes home to tell his family that he has been kicked out of school. (I think I'm remembering this right.) When the book ended, I seemed to have thought, "That's IT?! It's over?!" which doesn't seem like a GOOD reaction, but somehow I still think ... it's ... a good ... book. I think. Horrid language. Good writing. I ... don't know what else to say about this one.

Love Story by Erich Segal -- "What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died?" That is the first line of this book. Hooked yet? I read this book in one night. It is what the title says: a love story.

Oliver's Story by Erich Segal -- 2 years after Jenny's death, Oliver is still grieving; can he fall in love again? I didn't know that I would like this book: who wants a sequel to a love story (literally)? Yet ... I did. It seemed realistic. I especially like the ending.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith -- Francie Nolan's coming-of-age. Well done.

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck -- Another character-driven novel of Steinbeck's. The vagrant men who hang out on Cannery Row. One might go so far as to say this book has no plot ... but I liked the characters and I still liked the book.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck -- Two books have made me horrified at the sight of evil. A scene from Perelandra and the character of Cathy from East of Eden. This is a riveting book that pulled me in headfirst. The story unfolds in the Salinas Valley of California and depicts the rivalry of Cain and Abel: Adam Trask's sons Cal and Aron. A GREAT read.


The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck -- Oh, this book. When I was buying a different Steinbeck book at Barnes and Noble, the person at the checkout said The Grapes of Wrath was his best, and I was inwardly ashamed that I hadn't read it. So -- I bought it. This book ... at first I didn't like it. Let's just say that typically, if a book doesn't hold my interest or I don't like it, I'll put it down. This book I didn't necessarily like but I plodded through it nevertheless, and ... somewhere along the way to California with the Joad family ... I began to love them. Although this is not my favorite Steinbeck book, he certainly does have a way with creating characters. In the end, I do give this book my endorsement.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck -- The story of George and Lennie, two migrant workers, George acting as a father-figure to strong but simple-minded Lennie. Interesting ending.

The Pearl by John Steinbeck -- Kino, a poor Mexican pearl fisher, finds a magnificent pearl which seems to promise prosperity for his family and health for his son -- interesting commentary on the "American dream." It seems that a lot of people DISLIKE this book, but I approve of it. In its simplicity, it tells a powerful message about temptation and greed.

To a God Unknown by John Steinbeck -- Joseph Wayne's attachment to the California land he is homesteading is strong -- incredibly strong. I don't know what it IS about Steinbeck! I am pleased with and disappointed by his books, and I am saddened by but endorse them! This is another of those. I guess I just have to accept that Steinbeck's strength is in his characters, and if I read his book, I will fall in love with them, and then the plot doesn't matter so much. Sigh. I liked this one too but don't quite know what to say about it.

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe -- I didn't read this book until college; I had perhaps an misconstrued idea in my head of what it would be. It was, in fact, wonderful. About slavery's cruelties, yes, but it's bigger than that. The character of little Eva was beautiful, and she made me cry. This is a classic, and Abraham Lincoln told Stowe that her book was a catalyst for the Civil War, and it was more than I expected it to be. If you've been avoiding this book, stop. Go read it and love it.

Exodus by Leon Uris -- I remember Mrs. Grams talking about this book when in my high school Creative Writing class; I read it that summer ... and the next ... and the next. FANTASTIC storytelling of the plight of the Jewish nation, centering around the present story of an American nurse and an Israeli freedom fighter. Such an intriguing tale of the Jewish nation, with strong, passionate fictional characters swirled into the mix. Great book.

The Lamb and the Fuhrer by Ravi Zacharias -- Zacharias creates a conversation between Jesus and Adolf Hitler.

The Lotus and the Cross by Ravi Zacharias -- A book wherein Zacharias creates a conversation between Buddha and Jesus as they discuss what they can offer to a girl named Priya. I read this book in one night, LOVE the ending.

Sense and Sensuality by Ravi Zacharias -- Zacharias creates a conversation between Jesus and Oscar Wilde, a writer known for his pursuit of pleasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home