Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Books by Writers

But Jackie, aren't ALL these books by writers? I say: some. Some are written by experts.

These books are those that I've deemed are written by true writers (not just experts in their fields) for the sake of writing. There are many books on my list that could fall into multiple categories (for example, Hougen is a true writer, yet her book is under Non-Fiction; Buechner's memoirs are here, yet I've listed many autobiographies elsewhere; my poets and many of my favorite fiction writers are The Real Deal); please let me know if you think any books are misplaced.

These lovely books on this list are by WRITERS. Some of you will GET IT, and some of you will not. It's ok either way.

Peculiar Treasures by Frederick Buechner -- Witty profiles of over 125 biblical characters.

Telling Secrets by Frederick Buechner -- Buechner's memoirs in which are woven his thoughts on secrets and sharing them and how our secrets are all rather alike.

Wishful Thinking by Frederick Buechner -- Witty definitions of "Christian" words.


For the Time Being by Annie Dillard -- How can I even explain how beautiful the writing in this book is? I'm sure there's funky theology in here (and definite departure from Christianity), but strictly speaking to her writing prowess: brilliant. "I saw a beached red dory. I could take the red dory, row out to the guy, and say: Sir. You have found a place where the sky dips close." GORGEOUS.

Teaching a Stone to Talk by Annie Dillard -- Dillard does it again with another lovely collection of stories. My favorite scene from this book is one where she vividly describes a full eclipse: masterfully done!


The Writing Life by Annie Dillard -- I didn't feel that this book gave me tons of practical advice on writing ... but it made me want to write. That's definitely something, eh? Even when I don't know what Dillard is writing about, it is still typically beautiful. This is the first book I read by her, and after that, I was hooked.

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott -- Lamott's hilarious take on the writing life and how to approach it. Lamott is hilarious, and this was the first of her books that I'd ever read. I definitely did not stop there.

Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott -- Her third book of thoughts on faith, and while I didn't think it lived up to Traveling Mercies, Lamott fans won't be able to resist the temptation of another collection of her stories.

Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott -- A book about raising Sam! Her son is now something like 17 years old, and it's bizarre how you can watch him grow through her books. When I pick up a Lamott book, Sam usually enters in at some point and I stand in shock at how he's grown, wanting to reach through the pages and tweak his cheek and smack him into shape.

Plan B by Anne Lamott -- The second book of thoughts on faith. Well done. Still can't beat Traveling Mercies.

Rosie by Anne Lamott

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott -- FABULOUS. Go read this book. Lamott has a very quirky Christianity and a lingering confusion over God's gender, but the book as a whole is fabulous. One of my top ten? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lamott's conversion story. (Although it is possibly the only one I've ever heard where someone curses and accepts Christ in the same breath!)


Walking on Water by Madeleine L'Engel -- Definitely worthwhile for Christian writers to read, although since reading it, I've regarded L'Engel as a bit odd. RIP with Jesus, Madeleine.

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller -- EXCELLENT BOOK. Don't bother with the library for this one; just buy your own copy to have and to hold.

Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller -- I love Donald Miller, and I'll say it again: I LOVE DONALD MILLER!!!! Another dynamite book of practical Christian insight and lots of hilarity. I orginally purchased Blue Like Jazz because the book said Miller was like the male version of Anne Lamott. I can definitely see it. Although I think his head is screwed on straighter.

Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller -- The chronicles of Don's journey from Texas to Oregon with his friend Paul: the many adventures and the lessons he learned. Slower start but still worthwhile. Be sure to have a box of Raisin Bran ready and available while reading this.

To Own a Dragon by Donald Miller -- Don's thoughts on growing up as a boy without a father. I avoided this one for awhile, as I am a) a girl who b) grew up with a father. But finally, my love for Don Miller was too great to avoid the purchase any longer. I bought it and read it and enjoyed it ... and I learned from it too. Very worthwhile, regardless of your background. And once again, Miller's a riot.

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf -- I wrote my whole NWC research writing paper about this book. It was called Discrediting Woolf and something like "Fallacies in A Room of One's Own." I didn't like this book when I read it my senior year of high school. I still didn't like it in college. I don't know if I'd like it if I read it TODAY, but I have come to a better understanding of what Woolf says about women writers and their needs: an "incandescent mind" and a room of one's own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home