Saturday, November 27, 2004

Books NOT Recommended

Yes, I have a few. Feel free to argue these with me.


Tripping: An Anthology of True-Life Psychedelic Adventures by Charles Hayes -- I thought this book would be rather intriguing and full of colorful images, but as I read it in a South Dakota motel room, I felt it was almost evil. I thought about selling it online but didn't want to pass it along. I threw it in the garbage there at the Best Western.

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis -- This book is about a young woman named Carol who decides to change the town of Gopher Prairie, MN (based on Sauk Centre, MN), for the better ... and never really succeeds. When I was done with this book (which we read for class my junior year of high school), I felt angry with Lewis and actually read Oh, the Places You'll Go! to my classmates to combat the negative message from the book. I have not revisited it since; I wonder if I would think differently now, 7 and a half years later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home